From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 21:35:21 CDT

Jerry,
  The reason OpenGL programmable shading is disabled in 64-bit mode
on your NVidia card on Linux AMD64 is because the current version of the
64-bit NVidia drivers return a NULL pointer for one of the required
OpenGL extension functions needed for programmable shading to work.
This was in fact one of the causes of the crashing that occured in
previous versions. VMD now contains explicit checks for this bogus
behavior and will disable programmable shading rather than crash, which
is the only alternative :-) I suspect this is a minor mix-up in NVidia's
drivers, and I'd expect them to fix it in a subsequent release. I don't
know how many other apps are already using GLSL, VMD is pretty
bleeding-edge in that regard, so NVidia probably hasn't tested their
drivers thoroughly on this. All of the other OpenGL extensions appear
to work ok on the 64-bit NVidia drivers so far. If any other problems
like this one crop up, this latest version of VMD contains special code
to allow one to set an environment variable to prevent VMD from using
OpenGL features that are broken in buggy graphics drivers, so if this
sort of thing comes up again, I can just give you an environment variable
to set rather than recompiling the code to avoid the buggy video driver's
problem :-)