From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2020 - 12:35:50 CST

Hi,
  This sounds like some sort of OpenGL driver issue, or interference
caused by having window manager compositing enabled. Your renderer
appears to be an on-chip integrated Intel GPU. Historically there
have been quite a few problems with Intel integrated GPU graphics
drivers on Linux, and this may be another such example. Usually the
same chips work fine on Windows, which is why I blame the drivers.

If you can't get around the issue with Snapshot, then my recommendation
would be to use one of the ray tracing engines like TachyonInternal
instead. It won't render nearly as fast as OpenGL, but the image quality
will be higher and you won't be subject to driver bugs.

The other suggestion I have is to use a machine with a discrete GPU
rather than using the Intel integrated GPU, as the discrete GPU drivers
tend to be much higher quality, particularly on Linux.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/