From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2016 - 09:50:34 CDT

Hi,
  This is mainly due to limitations with the underlying FLTK and Tk
cross-platform windowing software being a pixel-based API from their
earliest days. Apple's solution for this with their retina displays was to
fool existing code to double its pixel-based font size so that when displayed
on high-DPI monitors it would look okay. I'm not presently aware of a
good solution for this with FLTK at present. You can read some other
commentary on the issue here:
  http://www.oyranos.org/2016/01/high-dpi-with-fltk/

Switching to different fonts requires re-packing widgets in windows
which is something the page above doesn't even get into. The issue for
VMD is that the FLTK window packing is/was done in pixel coordinates,
and there's not a way of adapting it automatically to fit a particular
size font like there should be. So at present dealing with a high-DPI
display is still a somewhat significant challenge.