From: Nuno Ricardo Loureiro Ferreira (nunolf_at_ci.uc.pt)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 15:11:28 CST

HI Jay

If you are a new user, then you must start from the beginning, by reading the manual.
I can give you the following tips:

1- vmd already as built in commands that allows you to select the hydrophobic residues
2- also has in the scripts libarary (web page) a c.o.m script
3- the process will be something like this:

    select hydrophobic residues
    determine the com of the side chain of those select residues
    select the pairs of residues which have a distance between their com < 4 angst.

Sorry if this is to crude, but VMD is a great analysis tool. But for that, you need to give a little of your time. Just start by the tutorials on the web page.
Nuno