From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 16:49:29 CDT

Hi,
  I've just found and fixed a bug in the AMD64 builds of VMD
and written a workaround for bugs in the current NVidia AMD64
drivers that caused the 64-bit Opteron builds of VMD to crash
on the newest generation NVidia cards. (NVidia's driver provides
false information about the availability of one of the OpenGL
shading language extensions, which had been making VMD crash
on the higher-end FX-series cards..) The new code no longer
trusts the OpenGL driver and now double-checks everything
it gets back from the video driver.

I've just been running the new code on a demo box we have in the lab
and it seems to run quite well now. Anyone else that's interested in
testing VMD 1.8.3 on Opteron can download the new binary here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/