From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 31 2020 - 13:44:41 CST

Lothar,
  I have tracked down the issue you have been having with your
VMD electrostatic coloring. It seems that there is a bug that occurs
with MSMS surfaces in combination with color by Volume.
I was able to reproduce the problem you described locally.

I find that if I switch the surface method to one of the other types,
such as Surf, QuickSurf, or Nanoshaper, the problem goes away.
I'm surprised that this is happening. It is a latent bug
that has surfaced over time since this had been working fine for
many years. I believe it has to do with ACTC triangle strip surface
optimization which is unique to MSMS presently. I found that if I render
the MSMS surface as a wireframe, even that works correctly. This
is further evidence that the problem has something to do with ACTC
surface mesh optimization.

For the time being, I suggest that you try Surf, QuickSurf, or NanoShaper
(or MSMS in wireframe) and I will have to debug what is happening here.

I will also add a user-override method for disabling ACTC in the
future, in case any other ACTC related issues should arise down the road.

Best regards,
  John Stone