From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 15 2020 - 12:06:50 CST

Hi guys,
  I've assembled a new 64-bit Windows installer that corrects
two of the prior issues you reported, and I've posted it with a
newer "V2" suffix:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

The new test build corrects the two issues below:
 1) VMD plugin loading and startup scripts are up-to-date
 2) default vmd.rc file no longer has a stray debug/testing command in it

The mismatched installation target directory in the installer GUI
remains for the time being.

Stefan: I discussed the OSPRay startup issue with the OSPRay developers
        and I will try and add some workaround code in VMD to make it
        continue startup even in the case that OSPRay modules fail to load.

Jerome: The behavior of file/path names with internationalized strings
        data will need to be dealt with in a future build.

I noted that you're all getting bogus CUDA driver warnings on systems
that don't contain NVIDIA GPU hardware, so I'll have to revisit that
code as well.

Barring further installer/packaging corrections further
improvements will have to come in a later alpha version
since they'll require code changes.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/