From: Stefan Boresch (stefan_at_mdy.univie.ac.at)
Date: Tue Dec 15 2020 - 13:24:22 CST

John,

thank you again. I just installed V2. The OspRay issue
is still there, but the workaround with the environment variable works.

[Could the OspRay error indicate that (in the library) some CPU
instructions are used, which for some reason this particular CPU
doesn't suppport (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU)?]

The Optix shader works (as does Quicksurf (which spits out some CUDA
warnings), so I actually assume that NVIDIA/CUDA *does* work, contrary
to the startup message.

For the record, quicksurf gives me the following:

CUDA Thrust sort_by_key() failed: C:/Users/johns/Desktop/build/vmd/src/CUDASort.cu line 190
dev_radix_sort_by_key() failed: C:/Users/johns/Desktop/build/vmd/src/CUDASpatialSearch.cu line 259

(But I believe I have seen this warning on Linux platforms, too..)

What is new is that SURF doesn't work, the error is:

ERROR) Cannot read SURF output file: C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Local\Temp\vmdsurf.u0.41.in.tri

The directory exists, and I (user = stefa) can write/read from it, so this
looks a bit strange.

I cannot thank you enough for your efforts and persistence!

Best regards,
Stefan