From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 15 2020 - 11:09:20 CST

Another issue: when trying to load a file, I see interesting results with filesystem encoding.

Dragging a file onto a VMD shortcut icon, I see this:
Info) Using plugin dcd for coordinates from file C:\Users\JÚr¶me HÚnin\...
and then the file loads successfully, even though the displayed characters are more, uh, creative than I'm used to.

If however I try to open the same file using the File/New Molecule dialog, or drag it onto an open VMD Main window, I get this:
vmd > ERROR) Could not read file C:\Users\J├®r├┤me H├®nin\...
so the path is interpreted with a different encoding, and this time the file is not found.

Now I'm glad I named my Windows user with all the accents, or I would have missed all that fun stuff.

Jérôme