From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 03 2020 - 09:52:16 CDT

please read the installation instructions that come with the binary
package and follow them. the binaries are compiled such that they work
on a vast majority of systems and there usually is no need to compile
VMD. compiling VMD from source is quite elaborate since it has many
dependencies and does not use any of the common build/configuration
tools. that requires following the compilation instructions *very*
carefully and usually some setting of environment variables and
editing of the configuration perl script.

axel.