From: Aleksei (erdelgado_at_udec.cl)
Date: Thu May 28 2020 - 01:39:15 CDT

El 24/5/20 a las 22:24, Daniel Fellner escribió:
> Thanks,
>
> I managed to flip it by editing the dihedral in the text file, and verified
> by visualising in FFTK-VMD. None of my molecular editors (Chem3D, Avogadro,
> SPARTAN, Discovery Studio, Molefacture) could read the file unless I
> renamed the dummy atom to a real element. If I replaced it with D, Chem3D
> would read it but it didn't interpret the Z-matrix properly leading to some
> weird coordinates. Can you suggest an editor that can read it properly?
My bad, seems only GaussView can handle the input files.
> Also, in the case that no position is free of secondary interactions (e.g.
> quaternary carbon in 3-substituted indole) do I simply not probe that atom?
For atoms that can't be probed the parameters are assigned by analogy.
If the parameters don't already exist you use a divide and conquer
approach and break your molecule into model compounds having your groups
of interest or similar structures. This also makes the parametrization
of force constants and dihedrals more tractable.
> What threshold should I use for determining whether it's acceptable to
> probe or not?
There is not a set treshold, but in case it isn't visually obvious look
for outliers in the interaction energy or distance.