From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2020 - 10:50:08 CST

Robin,
  That's a very creative workaround. I wouldn't have guessed that adding
a delay would have helped alleviate the observed problem. That would seem
to indicate that there's some sort of race condition in the driver's
OpenGL buffer swapchain (or its interaction with the windowing system's
compositor, etc). Because VMD sends commands that swap buffers
(and implicitly cause global synchronization between the app, the windowing
 system, and OpenGL) at the end of each frame draw, it shouldn't
be possible for OpenGL to pick up the wrong or outdated
buffer when it reads the pixels and writes them to a disk file,
but it sounds like that (or something similar) is precisely what is
happening.

Can you send the OpenGL renderer info stringis VMD reports when it starts on
your system? It would be useful for me to collect driver/hardware combinations
that are affected by this. If it affects a wide enough swath of Intel
integrated GPUs and driver versions, I might be able to provide other
workarounds by adding in additional synchronization calls, which would
likely outperform the VMDMSECDELAYHACK approach, while also giving
correct behavior.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/