From: McGuire, Kelly (mcg05004_at_byui.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2019 - 10:15:25 CDT

  Thanks Joao, I have actually been using that and it works great. What I'm asking for might be impossible or not worth the effort. Let's say I have a QM region that has about 100 atoms, and my results give hundreds of orbitals each frame. I'll have many HOMOs and many LUMOs e.g. HOMO, HOMO-1, HOMO-2, LUMO, LUMO+1, LUMO+2, etc. But, if I am only interested in orbitals around a certain atom, it could end up in any one of those depending on the orbital energy. For example, I am looking for a copper atom to bind to other atoms. Copper can have 6 bonds. Two of the bonds end up being HOMO for most of the frames. But, the other four are somewhere in HOMO-65 and HOMO-70, etc. One issue is that the orbital energies are changing each frame, so for one frame those two bonds are HOMO, in another frame they become HOMO-1 or HOMO-2, and then back to HOMO. So, is it possible to some how follow the bonding orbitals or any orbital of choice around a certain atom even if they are bouncing around HOMO, HOMO-1, etc.? I'm not sure what the selection criteria would be or if it's even possible.

Kelly L. McGuire

PhD Candidate

Biophysics

Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology

Brigham Young University

LSB 3050

Provo, UT 84602