From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 13:04:29 CDT

Hi Randall,
  I'm assuming you're working with higher resolution grids than
just 2 and 3 samples, but keep in mind that the isosurface extraction
algorithm in VMD will only generate geometry between the grid points,
not ON the grid points.. So, if you have a grid of resolution NxNxN,
the resulting surface would contain (N-1)x(N-1)x(N-1) "cells" which
each subsequently contain up to 6 triangles (with the current implementation).

If you're working with low resolution grids, it is easy to get assymmetric
surfaces particularly if working with an even grid resolution and
surface shapes that are figures of revolution.

All this being said, it might be easier to debug your problem if you
send a copy of the data file so we can take a look at it here.
I won't have a chance to look at it until next week as I'm out of town
for an NIH advisory board meeting the rest of this week, but I can look
at it shortly after I return.

Thanks,