From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2016 - 16:02:47 CDT

Hi,
  A quick note: A future rev of VMD will include new commands that will allow
calculation of RMSDs without the need to (re)align them first. I have written
the necessary code to do this but the scripting interfaces are not yet
finalized and will not be exposed until sometime after VMD 1.9.3 is
complete. The new script commands will also allow efficient use of
multi-core CPUs and GPUs for going RMSD calculations for trajectories,
and for clustering analyses of trajectories, and this is why they are
still an ongoing development activity at the moment. That said, for
the time being some simple scripting can do the necessary alignments, or
you can have one of the GUI plugins do it for you.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/