From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2016 - 16:10:19 CDT

Hi,
  I think that this is likely a default behavior of psfgen, though for
what reason I'm not sure.

In principle it should trivial to collect the original chain names
from the original PDB file and re-apply them to the solvated or
ionized structure. This could be as simple as selecting atoms of each
chain type, querying their indices, and then using those indices to set
the chains in the newly generated structure and saving out another (3rd)
PDB file. NAMD generally shouldn't care about the chain
unless your own NAMD config files do something specific based on
chain information AFAIK.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/