From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2016 - 15:52:01 CDT

Hi,
  At present, the TNG plugin relies heavily on an external TNG library
that has to be obtained from the GROMACS team, and it also has a few
dependencies as I recall. At the time VMD 1.9.2 was released
the TNG plugin was still rapidly evolving, so while the plugin
source is incorporated with VMD, the requirement for the other libraries
means that it is currently available only if one compiles
the plugin from source code. Compiling plugins is pretty straightforward if
you already have the GROMACS "tnglib" stuff compiled. That would be
the first step to get done before you try and compile the VMD plugin itself.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/