From: Brian Dotson (Brian.Dotson_at_netl.doe.gov)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 07:22:01 CST

The problem is due to spawning the process, but I don't think it has
anything to do with the xterm. I saw the same problem when I used the
following one line script, which I think is equivalent to what gets
executed in the vmd script.

exec xterm -T "VMD" -geometry 80x11-0-0 -sb -sl 1000 -e
/usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX &

I removed the "&" from the script and then I was able to start vmd in
chromium correctly and it was still using xterm. So, I thought if I
removed the & from the following line in the vmd script it would work,
but it still didn't work.

exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
                "$VMDDIR/$execname" $* &

I then added the following line to my test script.
#! /bin/csh

This caused the same problem we were seeing before. To summarize the
following doesn't work:
#! /bin/csh
exec xterm -T "VMD" -geometry 80x11-0-0 -sb -sl 1000 -e
/usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX

This does work:
exec xterm -T "VMD" -geometry 80x11-0-0 -sb -sl 1000 -e
/usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX

I'm not sure how to fix the vmd script because you need: #! /bin/csh

I hope this helps.

Brian

>>> "Cesar Delgado" <beettlle_at_hotmail.com> 03/02/04 08:26PM >>>
I think the problem is the shell script spawning a terminal and, from
there
calling VMD. I think Chromium is trying to intercept calls from the
terminal from which the shell was called and disregards the terinal tha
was
created which is calling VMD. The easies solution I can think of is to
make
another option in the shell script, something like "-chromium". I made
diff file to the vmd script that seems to work on our Chromium setup.
don't know csh so it's a horrible hack. I'm sure you guys can think of
more elegant way to do it. Just my $0.02.

132,136d131
<
< if ( "$argv[$parmcount]" == "-chromium") then
< set VMDCHROMIUM=1
< endif
<
284c279
< # check for Mac bundled version, else assume X-Windows

---
># check for Mac bundled version, else assume X-Windows
287,290c282
<   # check to see if VMD will run under Chromium
<   if ($?VMDCHROMIUM == "1") then
<     exec "$VMDDIR/$execname" $*
<   else if ($?DISPLAY) then
---
>   if ($?DISPLAY) then
-Cesar Delgado
Research Computing Facility @ UNL
http://rcf.unl.edu
cdelgad2_at_bigred.unl.edu, beettlle_at_hotmail.com