From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 09:58:20 CST

Olaf,
  Regarding using the ATI-provided Linux drivers:
If VMD crashes on startup, that usually means that the drivers
didn't get installed correctly at all. (i.e. perhaps libgl.so was
missing from the normal location, or some similar problem...)
If you encounter trouble with one version of the drivers its often
useful to try a different version and see if the problem goes way,
there have been a few ATI driver versions that were less stable than
others, but I've yet to see one that causes VMD to crash on startup when
the driver is properly installed, though I've seen them crash later ;-)

  John