From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2013 - 10:10:17 CDT

Doesn't matter. VMD can understand large lists. For example:
#Example index list. Substitute this one for your actual list
set indexlist [list 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]
set sel [atomselect top "index $indexlist"]
#Get the resid
$sel get resid
#Residues are like resid, but are unique per loaded system
$sel get residue
#For most of my atomselections, more than one atom per residue shows up.
To trim the list down, you can use lsort if you want:
lsort -unique -integer [$sel get resid]