From: Felix Rausch (felix.rausch_at_anatomie2.med.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2013 - 06:41:40 CDT

Hello VMD users,

this morning, I tried to start VMD as usual. But instead of the normal
startup, I got a black screen and shortly after that, the KDE login page
appears. It seems like, somehow, the KDE is restartet (not the computer)
when i try to open VMD. I already did a reinstall, but without any effect.
It worked quite well at the beginning of the week and I didn't change
anything at the system since then. So I'm quite puzzled.

I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 with a NVidia Quadro 4000 graphics card. The
NVidia driver version is 310.44. Please let me know if you need more info.

Before the screen turns black, I can get the following output from VMD:

Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.1 (February 1, 2012)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) Multithreading available, 8 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 15070MB (94%)
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] Quadro 4000 8 SM_2.0 @ 0.95 GHz, 2.0GB RAM, KTO, OIO, ZCP

Any help or hints would be very appreciated.

Greetings,
Felix