From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 09:54:24 CST

Hi,
  There are a number of cases where Surf doesn't work as well as it
could. Have you tried using MSMS or QuickSurf instead? MSMS should
produce a surface of at least as good quality as that produced by
Surf, but it may likely work in cases where Surf is doing poorly.

If you don't have to see the solvent accessible surface, then QuickSurf
is much faster than both Surf or MSMS, and it handles many cases that
neither Surf or MSMS can handle.

To use MSMS, you will need to download it from Scripps:
  http://mgltools.scripps.edu/downloads