From: Walter Rocchia (Walter.Rocchia_at_iit.it)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 12:21:12 CST

Hi,
the problems you encountered are due to the high symmetry (atom
co-planarity in this case) of the C6H6 system.
In order to be compliant with these highly symmetric systems,(for
instance, the fullerene buckyball is another example of a tricky one), we
realized the NanoShaper tool
http://www.electrostaticszone.eu/index.php/research/11-research/3-ms

It has his own visualizer but can also be interfaced with VMD, with a bit
of effort.

Similarly to MSMS, it takes a .xyzr input file. Its output, in .off
format, can be converted in .face and .vert files using the off2msms.py
script, which can be then fed to VMD.
A precompiled version of NanoShaper 0.3.1 is available for Windows
operating system, while source code and installer are available for most
Linux distributions.

Yours
Walter

Walter Rocchia, PhD