From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2012 - 11:08:34 CDT

Hi,
  There is no such source file named "VMD.C". I'm afraid you'll
have to be more specific about the exact error message you got.
Please send me the exact compiler error output you get, and I should
be able to give you concrete suggestions.

In general, we have been compiling VMD regularly with GCC versions
up to 4.2. I don't know if anyone has tried a GCC 4.6 build recently,
but our local VMD builds are with somewhat older Linux distributions, so
we only do builds on bleeding-edge GCC versions someone infrequently for
special VMD installations at other sites.