From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2011 - 10:14:23 CST

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM, kirtana S <skirtana4_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Though pdb file contains no bond information , when I visualize the polymer
> chain (pdb file) show the connectivity. If this is not the right way to test

the connectivity that you see is "guessed" by VMD.
most of the time VMD guesses correctly and in
your case you may have used the VMD guessing
algorithm through topotools in the first place to
compute the bond topology. if you read in your
data file using topo readlammpsdata then you
get _exactly_ the bond topology. also if you save
the topology information in a psf file, you can
load this back and visualize it in combination
with a pdb file (the most common way people
use VMD).

> this ,how should I go about.
>
> In the examples for peptide in lammps, the pair coefficients are specified
> for 1 to 14 whereas they do not mention about the atom types.

sure. the numbers are all the LAMMPS cares about.
it is up to you to make sure they match. that is why
people write a program to generate topologies for
complex/large molecules. to do this manually would
be far to error prone.

> Whereas in your examples  you have commented on the pair coefficients #1 CT
> . So when we write the bond coefficients how does the program recognize this
> i.e 1 is for CT-HC bond .

those comments are for _you_ to help
with debugging. explanations are in the
topotools documentation/tutorials and