From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2011 - 12:24:10 CST

Hi,
  The structure analysis and residue/fragment classivication done by
VMD is in the hard-coded C/C++ portion of the code, and cannot be changed
without recompiling the program presently. You might be able to get around
this problem in various ways without changing the VMD source code,
but I'd have to know much more about your structure and the unusual residue
to be able to provide any useful suggestions.