From: Hans Martin Senn (senn_at_chem.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 11:37:51 CDT

Hi all

There seems to be a tradition of a question on this topic popping up about once a year. So it's my turn now...

I'm on OS X 10.6.7, VMD 1.9, and recently got my hands on a SpaceNavigator 3D mouse. I got the current version (1.6.3) of their proprietary driver/PrefPane software, and the device works fine in other applications.

However, VMD seems to ignore it entirely. From previous posts and a handy tutorial/manual page (http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/spaceball/), I got the impression that VMD should provide (limited) support for SpaceNavigator devices also on OS X. I was expecting at least some sort of acknowledgment on startup that VMD has recognised the device (like "Info) 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator enabled"). But there is absolutely no reaction whatsoever...

Have I missed something? I would be grateful for any suggestions or comments.

Thanks
Hans