From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 27 2011 - 14:54:34 CDT

Hans,
  I have the SpaceNavigator partially working on MacOS X, but this
has been complicated recently by porting to 64-bit MacOS 10.6.x.
The MacOS X SpaceNavigator code is currently disabled in VMD 1.9
because there is still one little bug to fix with queuing of events,
which can cause the SpaceNavigator inputs to lag what you see in the
display by a couple of seconds when running on a machine with slow
graphics (or a huge molecule) that's not able to keep up with the
rate of SpaceNavigator input messages. It's on my TODO list to get
this code debugged, but as I mention, it got more complex now that I've
ported VMD to 64-bit MacOS X, and I'll have to see if they have the
drivers and SpaceNavigator development code working for 64-bit
mode yet or not.