From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 13:10:08 CDT

Hi,
  The -samples flag controls how many random sample points are used
to estimate the surface area for each atom. The points are distributed
randomly over the sphere, and the area is estimated by multiplying the
fraction of samples that are exposed by the surface area of the sphere
for the atom under consideration. When you retrieve the actual list of
sample points, you are getting the points that passed the solvent
accessibility test for the combination of selection and/or restricted
selection you provided. Does that answer your question?

You can see the source code that implements the calculation in the
measure_sasa() routine here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/Measure_8C-source.html#l01058

(that URL will change with time, but it's good for the short-term)