From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 12:54:56 CST

Hi,
  There's nothing special about installing VMD for use with
CAVElib or FreeVR, except that you must use the CAVE or FREEVR
options with the 'configure' script. The rest of the process is
exactly like compiling and installing a normal version of VMD.
Before attempting to run VMD in CAVE or FreeVR mode, check to make
sure it runs normally first. If it doesn't run normally in the
standard windowed mode, then you'll need to solve that problem first.
Once everything is working correctly in windowed mode, you can start
trying it in CAVE or FreeVR mode by passing the CAVE or FreeVR flags
at startup:
  vmd -dispdev cave (no GUI)
  vmd -dispdev freevr (no GUI)

  vmd -dispdev caveforms (with windowed GUI, ideally redirected to
                          a different X-windows display)

  vmd -dispdev freevrforms (with windowed GUI, ideally redirected to
                            a different X-windows display)

You can set your DISPLAY environment variable to a different
machine, and that will cause the GUI windows to be displayed there while
all of the graphics is done on the CAVE/FreeVR system.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.