From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 12:57:26 CDT

Hi,
  I've been contemplating redesigning the rendering interface in VMD
to export scenes as a collection of files either in a subdirectory of
some kind, a .zip file, or something along those lines. This would
make it much easier to emit multiple scene components, logically separating
materials, shaders, scene geometry, and camera/viewing parameters and
making it easier to do the types of things you mention in your email.
Doing this will only be practical if I plan to break backwards compatibility
with older versions of VMD, so I don't plan to do it until we're ready
to make significant changes in the export/rendering system beyond just
the file structure. If I can come up with a reasonable way of doing this
in an evoluationary process, I'll pursue it, it's just a lot of code to
change and I'd rather not have to maintain both new and old versions
of this system. I'll see what I can do to accomodate this as I plan
the changes to the rendering system that are already in the workds.