From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 07:21:43 CDT

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:

francesco,

perhaps it would be better, if you describe in more
detail what you actually intend to do. the usual way
most people operate is to generate the trajectory
somewhere and then transfer the file to a desktop
and visualize/analyze it from the desktop. i don't
quite get, what you mean with 'remote control'.

FP> Axel:
FP> Thanks. Although I'll follow your suggestion to run
FP> tutorials, I find difficult to get rid of my (bad)
FP> mood. That is, first of all I want to have VMD
FP> installed on the x-Gnome-iceweasel-i386 being able to
FP> talk with NAMD installed on the amd64 machine (where
FP> no X system). (Neither one is installed at the moment:
FP> VMD binary version with IMD support, as another kind
FP> guy has suggested?).

please check out the IMD tutorial at:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/imd/tutorial/
to see what is meant by IMD. i'm not sure whether
we are all on the same page here. NAMD is essentially
a text mode program and is executed via (batch) scripts.
IMD is a very special application for very special
problems.

cheers,
   axel.