From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 10:10:11 CST

Pawel,
  Ah, I see the issue. Well, you have a choice of either force-enabling
full rendering functionality (and risking crashes due to a number of
known ATI driver bugs that are to my knowledge still not fixed based
on recent reports from others), or using a different machine or a different
video card. If you wish to take your chances with the ATI video driver
and tell VMD to enable all rendering features, you can do this by
setting the environment variable VMDDISABLEATILINUXWORKAROUND, like this:
  setenv VMDDISABLEATILINUXWORKAROUND 1

After setting that environment variable, you should be able to start
VMD again, but without the functionality limitations imposed by default
when an ATI Linux driver is detected. Do not be surprised if you manage
to crash VMD, the X server, or even lockup your machine, as I've seen all
of these situations occur with both the open source and ATI provided
drivers for Linux. Oddly, the same hardware works fine with the ATI
provided Windows driver, so I think this is mainly an issue with their
Linux driver series.

If you're able to use VMD reliably with full features with your ATI
Linux driver I would be very interested to hear about it, as many other
ATI users have encountered stability problems when using the advanced OpenGL
rendering features. Any tips that help others with their ATI drivers
are appreciated.

If you have stability problems when full functionality is enabled I would
from them, then it may be time to consider getting a different video card
if working with volumetric data is important to you.