From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 13:26:41 CST

Hi,
  You can use the volmap plugin to synthesize a density map. You can
then select atoms that correspond to a voxel with a certain range
of density values:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/selbyvox/

The problem in your case is that what you really need is a selection
method that allows you to select atoms that are within a certain
distance of a voxel with a particular density value/range, rather than only
atoms that are _on_ a voxel with that value/range. At present we don't
have an atom selection method that searches voxels within a particular
radius, but that's something we could possibly implement in a future
version of VMD.