From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 15:09:52 CST

Jim,
  In truth, the only holdup on implementing slices with
arbitrary orientation is coming up with a GUI interface
for rotation and solving for the intersection between
the arbitrarily oriented slice plane and the box containing
the volume, fragmenting into the required number of triangles.
This won't be in VMD 1.8.6, but I'm thinking of prototyping
it with a plugin and new "draw" text commands which would also
let people draw arbitrary volumetrically textured geometry,
not just slicing planes. If you're interested in trying
something like that out, let me know.