From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 17:18:24 CST

Mihaly,
  I wrote a shrot tutorial on how to do this for APBS, but the
same method works for Delphi, CHARMM PBEQ, and any other potential map
format that you can load into VMD:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/colorbypot/

If you're getting a black and white "leopard" surface when you follow the
instructions on that page, this indicates that there's some sort of problem
with the implementation of 3-D texture mapping on your video card.
The MSMS atom-based surface coloring is done using a much simpler per-vertex
coloring (no textures used) and so it's not a good test for whether you
have a working video driver for 3-D texturing. The "Volume" coloring method
uses 3-D textures exclusively, which makes it different from all of the
other coloring methods, and more dependent on a working video driver...