From: Bogdan Costescu (Bogdan.Costescu_at_IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 09:38:42 CDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Vlad Cojocaru wrote:

> istalled zlibc-0.9k in the directory $dir (a dir in my home
> directory) and then export LD_PRELOAD=$dir/lib/uncompress.so

I haven't tried this myself, but basically you could add a similar
line to the 'vmd' script that starts VMD such that this environment
variable is only visible to VMD (and it's children, like a picture
renderer) and not to the shell. Being that 'vmd' is written in csh:

setenv LD_PRELOAD $dir/lib/uncompress.so

put somewhere just before the binary is exec-ed, to avoid any other
possible side-effects.

--
Bogdan Costescu
Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868