From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 11:09:10 CDT

On 8/29/06, Vlad Cojocaru <Vlad.Cojocaru_at_eml-r.villa-bosch.de> wrote:
> Dear VMD users,
>
> I am trying to make vmd read directly gzipped files. I followed Alex's
> advice from sometime ago and istalled zlibc-0.9k in the directory $dir
> (a dir in my home directory) and then export
> LD_PRELOAD=$dir/lib/uncompress.so
>
> Doing that I messed up ls for instance .. It gives a Segmentation fault
> error and vmd still doesnt read gzipped files..

note that you have to load the file _without_ the .gz suffix.
what os/version/gcc/libc are you on?
did you recompile zlibc for your system?
i just tried it on my machine (x86, 32-bit, fedora core 4)
and it still works fine for me.

segfaults on preloaded libraries usually point to some
incompatibilities and problems during the pre-loading.
however, debugging those needs some experience....

axel.