From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 22:27:52 CDT

Hi,
  Is the behavior you're observing deterministic, or is it random?
If you load the same trajectory and perform the same sequence of
RMSD and alignment operations in two successive VMD sessions, do
you get precisely the same results? I've just recently run the Linux
version of VMD through valgrind while running Luis' RMSDTT plugin
to measure RMSD and align trajectory frames, and didn't see any
signs of problems, nor did I see such spikes in my testing. Which
version of VMD are you using, the 32-bit or 64-bit build?
Depending on whether the behavior you're seeing is deterministic or
random, I may have some further experiments for you to try on your machine.