From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 06:31:32 CDT

On 7/26/06, Hu Zhongqiao <zhongqiao_hu_at_nus.edu.sg> wrote:

> Dear all,

dear zhongqiao,

> I need to produce a movie for trajectory of one system consisting of one
> protein, waters and sodium ions. But I always got poor-quality movie. I have

what platform are you running on, what movie trype do you use (gif or mpeg)
and how many frames does your trajectory have?

> read guide file about VMD. One method is "Double the VMD graphics window
> size and select Movie Settings/Image Smoothing and Movie Settings/Half-size
> Rescaling". But I can not find option "Image Smoothing...." in menu of VMD.

in the movie generator there is a menu 'Movie Settings' where you can
select Image Smoothing and Half-Size rescaling.

note, that if you require high quality images, an animated gif is usually
the nicer movie (provided you have only a few frames). for longer trajectories
gif movies can become huge (especially when using the convert tool on
linux/unix machines. which does not do any inter-frame optimization).
mpeg movies have usually a lesser quality but can
accomodate many more frames in the same space.

hope that helps,
   axel.