From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 10:40:43 CDT

Hi,
  It looks to me like you're missing a few bonds, which is causing
the cartoon representation to do odd things. When loading files from
the PDB format, VMD uses a distance-based bond search, and you've got
a few that are far enough away that they're not making the cut. This
is the reason for the odd looking cartoon rep, it's as if you chopped
up your protein into sections. You could either specify bonds with
CONECT records, make a PSF or other file with this information, or something
along those lines.