From: Samuel Flores (samuel.flores_at_yale.edu)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 15:15:12 CDT

Hi Axel,

I don't understand. I create the image using Tachyon, and then modify
plot.dat. However when I rerun Tachyon it just overwrites plot.dat with the
default parameters. Can you tell me more explicitly how to invoke Tachyon
the second time such that my modified parameters are used rather than
overwritten?

Thanks

Sam

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Samuel Flores wrote:

SF> Hi Guys,
SF>
SF> I am using vmd to make some high resolution images. So far they have
been
SF> very nice but now I need to increase the resolution. I see that
SF> TachyonInternal uses the screen display to set the resolution of the
TARGA
SF> output. I have read that I can override this with a higher resolution
by
SF> modifying the scene file. But where is this file?

sam,

please use the regular (external) tachyon renderer this will
create a .dat file that will be the input to tachyon. you can
edit the file, which has the keyword Resolution in the second line.
now you need to manually re-run tachyon (easiest by adapting
the command line from the render menu). you may want to try out
playing with the availble parameters (-fullshade, -aasamples)
to see whether you like those image more...

regards,
    axel.

SF> I was able to modify the parameters for POV3 to get satisfactory output,
but
SF> now want to import to adobe illustrator, which only takes TGA, tiff,
jpg,
SF> etc.

povray should actually be able to create TGA and TIFF files, IIRC
please check out the manpage/online help for the corresponding
flag (i though +FT should create .tga format files...), see:

  F[x] = write output file (in format x)
            FC - Compressed Targa with 24 or 32 bpp
            FN[n] - PNG (n bits/color, n = 5 to 16, default is 8)
            FP - PPM
            FS - System specific
            FT - Uncompressed Targa with 24 or 32 bpp

SF> Can anyone help with advice on increasing the TachyonInternal resolution
or
SF> translating the .pov?
SF>
SF> Sam
SF>
SF> Samuel Flores