From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 18:18:10 CDT

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Samuel Flores wrote:

SF> Hi Guys,
SF>
SF> I am using vmd to make some high resolution images. So far they have been
SF> very nice but now I need to increase the resolution. I see that
SF> TachyonInternal uses the screen display to set the resolution of the TARGA
SF> output. I have read that I can override this with a higher resolution by
SF> modifying the scene file. But where is this file?

sam,

please use the regular (external) tachyon renderer this will
create a .dat file that will be the input to tachyon. you can
edit the file, which has the keyword Resolution in the second line.
now you need to manually re-run tachyon (easiest by adapting
the command line from the render menu). you may want to try out
playing with the availble parameters (-fullshade, -aasamples)
to see whether you like those image more...

regards,
    axel.

SF> I was able to modify the parameters for POV3 to get satisfactory output, but
SF> now want to import to adobe illustrator, which only takes TGA, tiff, jpg,
SF> etc.

povray should actually be able to create TGA and TIFF files, IIRC
please check out the manpage/online help for the corresponding
flag (i though +FT should create .tga format files...), see:

  F[x] = write output file (in format x)
            FC - Compressed Targa with 24 or 32 bpp
            FN[n] - PNG (n bits/color, n = 5 to 16, default is 8)
            FP - PPM
            FS - System specific
            FT - Uncompressed Targa with 24 or 32 bpp