From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 10:09:46 CST

Oops, missed the bottom of your email:
  That's actually not very easy to do, because there's not a good way of
assigning a specific RGB color to a specific piece of atom-associated
geometry with the current system. The most obvious method to get it done,
though as I say is not ideal, is to rewrite the color scale with your own
values using a script and assign the color scale data range so you can
predict the mapping of beta/user/occupancy/etc values to RGB colors.
There's an example in the VMD User's Guide with a little Tcl script
the redefines the color scale colors. Let me know if you need help with that.

I'm working on writing a better coloring scheme to handle this problem at
the request of a number of people, but I don't have anything ready yet,
so this hack will have to do for the short term.