From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 16:39:36 CST

Hi,
  The older serial spaceballs do indeed require a power supply unless
they are one of the special models that were directly attached to an
SGI machine. Most of the typical Spaceball 2003 models have an extra
power supply that connects by a Y-split serial+power cable that gives
a special mini-DIN connector at the Spaceball end, and DB9 serial and a
separate power connector at the host machine end.

I can't comment on the new 3Dconnexion devices other than to tell you that
these new ones won't work with the Spaceball code I've written for the
various Unix platforms, but the Windows version of VMD should support them
just fine to my knowledge. (different code in VMD for Windows and Unix..)