From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 13:03:20 CST

Hi,
  I've posted a new test version of VMD 1.8.4 which has some code that
avoids some ATI driver problems, I suggest you try running this new
test version on your machine and see if your performance problem
goes away:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.