From: Jernej Zidar (jernej.zidar_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 04:41:24 CST

Hello.
   I'm using Gentoo Linux (64-bit version), the driver for the ATI
video card is supplied by ATI.
   Here are the messages from VMD:
Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.8.4a22 (October 11, 2005)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
Info) OpenGL renderer: RADEON X800 GTO Generic
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(6) RN MDE CVA MTX PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) OpenGL shader linkage log:
Info) Link successful. The GLSL vertex shader will run in software - unsupp
orted language element used. The GLSL fragment shader will run in software - uns
upported language element used.
Info) OpenGL shader linkage log:
Info) Link successful. The GLSL vertex shader will run in software - unsupp
orted language element used. The GLSL fragment shader will run in hardware.
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (8)

    I think my problem is more related to X than VMD, though any help
or suggestion is more than welcome.

thanks,
zee

On 11/28/05, John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Zee,
> What rendering mode are you using when you experience the
> performance problem? Also, you don't say what operating system
> or video driver this machine is using. Can you send me the full
> VMD startup messages? That will help me diagnose your problem.
>
> Thanks,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:40:53PM +0000, Jernej Zidar wrote:
> > Hi.
> > When I run vmd, I get the following error:
> > Info) OpenGL shader linkage log:
> > Info) Link successful. The GLSL vertex shader will run in software
> > - unsupported language element used. The GLSL fragment shader will run
> > in hardware.
> > Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
> >
> > As a consequence VMD is performing poorly when loading molecules with
> > more than 10.000 atoms.
> >
> > I have X2 4200+ machine with a Radeon X800GTO2 card and the Linux AMD_64
> > version of VMD. I use x86_64 Gentoo.
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> > zee

Windows: Re-Boot, Linux: Be-Root.