From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 15:09:30 CST

Hi,
  When I described that the plugin would be able to be compiled for
either VMD 1.8.3 or 1.8.4, I was referring to the changes I made in your
source code that detect which version of the VMD plugin interface it is
being compiled against. The same binary will not work with either version,
but the source code can be made to work both ways. If you're compiling plugins
based on the current VMD plugin CVS tree, then you're getting the new plugin
interface. If you're compiling the VMD 1.8.3 plugin source distribution,
then you're using the old one. You can do it either way, but the binary
plugin you produce will only work with the matching VMD version.

If you're getting incorrect bonding information in your structure, you'll
need to check to make sure you're sending VMD the correct atom indices for
bond information. I'd suggest adding debugging code that prints what
your plugin is doing as it parses the file, or before it returns the
bond arrays etc to VMD. With the small test structure it should be pretty
easy to see if something is wrong there.