From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 09:55:51 CDT

Hi,
  Once you've got the code compiled, copying it into your VMD
installation directory will indeed work, but for the purposes of
testing a new plugin, it's actually easier to load it interactively
in the VMD text console:
  plugin dlopen /home/johns/plugins/compile/lib_LINUX/vmfplugin.so
  plugin update

Assuming you've done everything correctly, after the 'plugin update'
command, your plugin will be listed in the file loading menu of VMD.
If VMD crashes when you load your plugin, that would indicate that you've
got a bug in your code that's illegally accessing memory, or something
similar. If it crashes immediately when the plugin is loaded, then you'll
need to double check your VMDPLUGIN_register() routine and make sure
it's correct. Let me know if you need help with this.