From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 14:56:23 CDT

Hi,
  In order to generate an image of "X" dpi, you need to calculate
the printed size of the image in each dimension (i.e. 4" x 5")
and then multiply the image size by the DPI you're shooting for,
and you'll get the actual pixel resolution of the image you need
to generate. (i.e. 300dpi * 4" = 1200 pixels, 300dpi * 5" = 1500 pixels)
Once you've got the pixel resolution in hand, you can just use these
numbers as command line arguments to POV-Ray overriding the defaults
provided in the VMD scene. You can also edit the scene files, and
do various other things depending on the renderer and the target
resolution you're shooting for. Let me know if you need more help
with this.